It is currently November 20th, 2017, 6:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Who Hunted the Opener
PostPosted: March 15th, 2017, 10:36 am 
Mallard

Much to my surprise, I had 4 different birds gobbling this morning. 29 degrees :shock:

I flicked the safety off on one of the lesser birds at about 70yds. He was probably sent in as a scout for The Boss.

Good stuff. Even with the cold, it was a fun morning. Best of luck to you and yours!!

PostPosted: March 30th, 2017, 10:26 am 
Redhead

Haven't been on here in a while...

Didn't get to hunt the opener. I was in El Paso for work. Got home the next weekend though, and went to my river property, the night I got home. Hunted a new property that Friday (the 24th). No gobbling. Ended up finding a hen, but she was walking away, responding the whole time. My buddy showed up Friday night, and we hunted my place Saturday morning. I had set up a blind Friday afternoon.

Attachment:
KIMG0102_1.jpg
KIMG0102_1.jpg [ 891.18 KiB | Viewed 528 times ]

Started having hens show up pretty soon after daylight. Coming from all different directions; across the river, down the hill, really from all over. Ten hens in total converged on us, all to within 10-15 yards. They stayed around, doing turkey things for a while. Then, they all got up and moved to the middle of the field... "Better get ready", I thought. No sooner than I thought that, out walks a gobbler in full strut.

He takes those hens behind a pile of pine trees I had cut and stacked up, and has his way with them. Then he comes back out, and sees my jake decoy. I got him seeing it on film, but it sucks. Anywho... Here he comes, full-strut. All I can see is that rope swinging back and forth. I blasted him when he was 2 yards from my decoy, at 21 yards.

Attachment:
KIMG0093_1.jpg
KIMG0093_1.jpg [ 973.71 KiB | Viewed 528 times ]

21LBS
11 1/8" beard
5/8" spurs

PostPosted: March 30th, 2017, 10:36 am 
Mallard

Nice! I'm glad someone has had some luck. I have been getting the Heisman thus far this year. Very little gobbling going on since the opening week.

Not sure, if it is just an early lull or a sign that they bred early. I have a hard time believing that they are completely done.

Pretty frustrated at this point...

I'm headed to Central Florida next week, so maybe I can bust the slump with some Osceola action! 8)

PostPosted: March 30th, 2017, 10:39 am 
Redhead

Also went yesterday, with the 11YO daughter in tow. 0230 wakeup, and a 2 hour drive to the land. Set back up in the same blind I shot that turkey on Saturday in. I really had no intentions of shooting a bird, but would have, if one woulda walked out. The daughter just wanted to go, and has been talking about it since turkey season ended last year (she went once last year, and twice the year before). She still hasn't got to see the deed done.

So.. Fast forward to 30 minutes before daylight. There is a hen turkey roosted RIGHT ABOVE MY BLIND, and she is vocal. Daughter thought that was cool (when she finally woke up from her nap). Right around 0650, that hen sees a hen fly from across the river, and land with my decoys, so she jumps down and joins her. So now we have 2 hens, at 10 yards, in front of us. I look up the hill, and I can see another turkey coming down, in full-sprint. It has a beard! I can see it swinging, but the turkey is still pretty far off. Then, I can see it's a hen!

Attachment:
KIMG0113_1.jpg
KIMG0113_1.jpg [ 847.11 KiB | Viewed 527 times ]

We watched them move around the field for a few hours, then, they all got spooked by a dog barking relatively close to us, and flew back across the river. Never saw the dog...

Daughter had a blast, and got to see her first bearded lady. Wore her out, so she made a bed out of my turkey vest and a backpack I had filled up with snacks for her.

Attachment:
KIMG0115_1.jpg
KIMG0115_1.jpg [ 873.07 KiB | Viewed 527 times ]

PostPosted: March 30th, 2017, 10:43 am 
Redhead

Cypress Sniper wrote:
Nice! I'm glad someone has had some luck. I have been getting the Heisman thus far this year. Very little gobbling going on since the opening week.

Not sure, if it is just an early lull or a sign that they bred early. I have a hard time believing that they are completely done.

Pretty frustrated at this point...

I'm headed to Central Florida next week, so maybe I can bust the slump with some Osceola action! 8)

I think they bred early. Those hens knew exactly when/where that tom was coming out of, and he knew exactly what he was there to do. Doubt it's over though... I'm resting that place for probably the rest of the year.

I've heard no gobbling, but again, I missed the opener.

You going to FL on a guided hunt, or public? I'd like to do a public hunt there one day. I can't afford a guided one down there. I found some land near Tampa that looks promising.

PostPosted: March 30th, 2017, 10:53 am 
Mallard

I have a buddy from college that has a large cattle farm down there. He is letting us hunt their land at no cost. Pretty sweet deal given what the going rate on an Osceola hunt is these days. Supposedly, they have a good many birds on the property. I choose to remain moderately optimistic, given there are no guarantees in the turkey woods. We'll soon see...

I took my 9yr old daughter during youth weekend. She got to hear some gobbling, but got antsy pretty quick when her feet got cold. We had a great time and chalked it up to a little pre-season scouting.

PostPosted: April 4th, 2017, 10:13 am 
Redhead

Cypress Sniper wrote:
I have a buddy from college that has a large cattle farm down there. He is letting us hunt their land at no cost. Pretty sweet deal given what the going rate on an Osceola hunt is these days. Supposedly, they have a good many birds on the property. I choose to remain moderately optimistic, given there are no guarantees in the turkey woods. We'll soon see...

I took my 9yr old daughter during youth weekend. She got to hear some gobbling, but got antsy pretty quick when her feet got cold. We had a great time and chalked it up to a little pre-season scouting.

Well... How's it going, and all down in the panhandle?

PostPosted: April 4th, 2017, 11:22 am 
Mallard

stevena198301 wrote:

Not there yet...Going down tomorrow through the weekend.

I busted the 2017 Slump with a spunky 2yr old on Friday. I got an owl to get cranked up and he in turn got this bird to gobble. We were only about 70yds from him at the onset. Set up quickly and it was a done deal in 10mins. Dead as a hammer at 6:40. 8)
11" beard and only 1 spur. The right leg was completely slick.

PostPosted: April 5th, 2017, 8:14 am 
Redhead

Cypress Sniper wrote:
stevena198301 wrote:

Not there yet...Going down tomorrow through the weekend.

I busted the 2017 Slump with a spunky 2yr old on Friday. I got an owl to get cranked up and he in turn got this bird to gobble. We were only about 70yds from him at the onset. Set up quickly and it was a done deal in 10mins. Dead as a hammer at 6:40. 8)
11" beard and only 1 spur. The right leg was completely slick.

Good stuff. Glad you got one!

Looks like you might be in for a nasty drive with all this rain. Good luck and be careful.

PostPosted: April 14th, 2017, 2:30 pm 
Mallard

Pulled the trigger on #2 this morning.