It is currently October 23rd, 2017, 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 15th, 2009, 4:16 pm 
Coot

I met Mike a few years ago when I was looking to buy a puppy for duck hunting. I bought a Black Lab with papers for $500.00. I then took her back to Mike when she was old enough for training. I then paid $300.00 a month x 4 months and got back a dog that was definitely not ready to be in a blind with hunters. Also during this time I bought a second puppy from Mike (Gunney), a Chocolate Lab for $550.00 that has hip dysplasia and will never be able to hunt or have puppies. All and all I am out over $2000.00 to Mike and have had many other vet bills that were not covered. I have yet been able to hunt either dogs and they are basically worthless as duck dogs.

PostPosted: December 15th, 2009, 4:35 pm 
Tundra Swan

PM SENT

PostPosted: December 15th, 2009, 6:24 pm 
Redhead

i got 2 dogs trained by mike and are both jam up hunters...no problems at all....dont think mike is the problem with the training. the owner of the dogs must continue to work with the dogs alot. and as far as the hip dysplasia.......every now and then it will just happen. AND MIKE DID TRY TO MAKE THAT RIGHT WITH YOU!!!!!

PostPosted: December 15th, 2009, 6:29 pm 
Redhead

and also its been what ....6-8 months since your dog was with mike. ive seen you dog work and i know the dog isnt the problem. How much training have you done with that dog since then? and i mean consistant training by the book. not "fun bumpers". have you tried to contact mike? i bet not. takes a mighty small man to call out someone on here before you contact him again and let him try to address the situation and fix the dog.

PostPosted: December 15th, 2009, 6:36 pm 
Canvasback

I too have done business with Mike and never heard of anything like this! Mike is a pretty good guy I would Def. try to call and talk to him! Or maybe continue to work with your dog!

PostPosted: December 15th, 2009, 6:41 pm 
Pintail

It is the combination of the dog and the owner . I saw a great dog get untrained by the owner once . I would talk to him and attempt for both of you go back to dog school . All you need is one working dog anyway unless you guide 5-6 days week . The other can keep him company during the 10 months .

PostPosted: December 15th, 2009, 8:25 pm 
Wood Duck

Well knew it would happen sooner or later. Can't make everyone happy all of the time.

Dennis,

The above posts are right. Takes a small man to call you out on a website that I sponsor. The black dog in question ( Tara ) was trained and trained well. When she came to me she had no manners, very little understanding of basic commands, wouldn't lead hardly, and was just Mark crazy. While she was there you did come up and work with her and saw her progress. You stated you were happy. When she left the kennels I stressed how important repetition of said drills with the dog would be. I heard from you once regarding a hunt you had that the dog did not act well. I offered advice and you never once asked to bring the dog back in for any tuning up. You cannot expect a dog that gets away with murder most of the time to be obedient and work for you when she has no pack respect for you. Mr. Champion did see your dog work and I know what level the dog was when she left. Now if you want to have the dog sent back for tune up I will do so at no charge. But in the future do not under any circumstances trash me or my kennel in a public forum without first speaking with me. AND I MeAN THAT!!!!

Now, as for Gunney. That dog was born in a litter where the mother died as did the rest of the litter. I hand reared the pup as best I could. YOU made the decision to purchase that pup. I even made arrangement for you with my vet to have the dang dog's hips xrayed because the vet you contacted wanted an arm and a leg. The vet said there was some hip issues but could not at her age tell for sure it was dysplastic. You stated you wanted gunney and you guys loved her. I went out of my way to meet you guys on the other side of town to bring the pup to you so you could get her on your way moving out of town. You have never once called me about her being diagnosed dysplastic. I am sorry to post this thing so long, but you can't make everyone happy.

Like I said before if you would like Tara tuned up I will do so for no fee. So now that I have addressed this I would appreciate it if you keep your comments in the future to yourself until you speak with me directly

Kindest Regards

Mike Adams

PostPosted: December 15th, 2009, 9:13 pm 
Harlequin Duck

sounds like he's a good guy that did the right thing and now i.m.o is going out of his way to help you after you publicly bash him and his kennel. if you cant control the dog then you should have him/her :forsale its not always the dogs fault, and in this case seriously doubt it is any blame on the dog. get over yourself and go get some training of your own.

PostPosted: December 16th, 2009, 12:34 am 
Wood Duck

Thats a BS way to address an issue. Sounds like you bought a dog, had it trained and were to lazy to work it after that and expected it to hunt like a champ..it dont work that way.Grow some nuts and man up if you have a problem..not on a public forum....just my 2cents

PostPosted: December 16th, 2009, 10:43 am 
Redhead

dwilcoxal wrote:
I met Mike a few years ago when I was looking to buy a puppy for duck hunting. I bought a Black Lab with papers for $500.00. I then took her back to Mike when she was old enough for training. I then paid $300.00 a month x 4 months and got back a dog that was definitely not ready to be in a blind with hunters. Also during this time I bought a second puppy from Mike (Gunney), a Chocolate Lab for $550.00 that has hip dysplasia and will never be able to hunt or have puppies. All and all I am out over $2000.00 to Mike and have had many other vet bills that were not covered. I have yet been able to hunt either dogs and they are basically worthless as duck dogs.

dwilcoxal, I think we all agree you are an idiot. Blaming your faults on someone who has gone out of their way to help you. It is YOUR responsibility to continue training, and even the calmest training dogs can be a little wild on their first hunts. Get over your "know it all" ego and man up to the challenge of having a dog. If you would continue with training the correct way, I'd be willing to bet that your pup would be a great hunter. It takes time and patience, especially when they are younger. If it was a legitimate problem then it is your opinion to voice it on here, but since this was your fault you look like a complete jackass.

PostPosted: December 16th, 2009, 1:30 pm 
Harlequin Duck

Questions for you about your statements:

1) I then took her back to Mike when she was old enough for training. I then paid $300.00 a month x 4 months and got back a dog that was definitely not ready to be in a blind with hunters.
a) What is your idea of a dog old enough for training?
b) What level of training was the dog at when Mike got her?
c) What did you expect the dog to be able to do when you got it back?

IMHO, 4 months wouldn't get you through FF and formal OB with enough time to learn 3 handed casting and cold blinds. That is when a dog would be ready for the conditions you are describing.

2) Also during this time I bought a second puppy from Mike (Gunney), a Chocolate Lab for $550.00 that has hip dysplasia and will never be able to hunt or have puppies. All and all I am out over $2000.00 to Mike and have had many other vet bills that were not covered.
a) Why in the name of Hades would you buy another puppy from the same source if you were so dissatisfied in the first place?

Seems to me that you may not have been as dissatisfied as you are trying to lead people to believe until you let the dog decide what to do instead of you being in charge. I don't know you or Mike from Adam so I won't stoop to name calling, questioning ethics, or blaming you or the breeder. Just asking the questions trying to figure out what makes you think the way that you do about this.

I have yet to meet any of the guys on the dog sections of this or any other forum that wouldn't go out of their way to help someone train, give sound advice, or offer you the shirt on their backs if you need it. There is an active training group (Lower Alabama) that meets to train on the weekends and monthly as a group that you may be interested in joining. PM me if you are interested in their contact information.

"One of the secrets of training is not trying for perfection; a certain amount of tolerance is necessary."- Charles Morgan

PostPosted: December 16th, 2009, 1:47 pm 
Redhead

ive yet to see you saw how much you consistantly 4-5 days a week continued to work with your dog as instructed by Mike.

PostPosted: December 16th, 2009, 10:11 pm 
Coot

I have had nothing short of an amazing experience with Magnum Run Kennels and Mike. He is a very thorough trainer, and knows his stuff. He's completely fair in his rates, too. I not only like the work he did with my dog, (which, by the way does FINE) but I also appreciate the fact that he loves and cares for each and every dog as his own.

One must remember that when a dog comes home from training, he/she is not going to be ready to just take off and do whatever. The dog needs to be eased in to each environment, and you must ALWAYS remember to work with the dog on his/her trained skills so that he/she stays current. If you do these things, then you really shouldn't have a problem.

I know that my dog is perfect, and he is perfect because he had a good trainer. Nothing but high praise here!

PostPosted: December 6th, 2013, 10:41 am 
Wood Duck

$300 is cheap. Some dogs can be trained in 3 months ... others take 6-8 for just retrieving birds well, casting and whistle commands. Some dogs react differently to different trainers. We train and have good friends with Training Facilities. I have seen in the past that if I work with a dog for 2-3 months and he or she is not responding I get a friend to try. Some dogs need a heavy hand...others need a light hand...others need no hand (I'm not talking about beating a dog) It is all in the voice. My son trains for a living. He has dogs that take to the training perfectly...others are harder headed. I do not think this is any reflection on the trainer. I might have missed it...How old is the dog? We have had a 11 month old pup ready for seasoned passes....RARE Case....We have had 3 yr olds that would not take a cast or direction to save their lives. Good luck in your future training experiences. I hope you are able to find the connections you are wanting.

PostPosted: September 7th, 2014, 6:50 pm 
Ruddy Duck

Is a 4 yr old trainable to retrieve? I've had her a few months. She has had some training in past. She is a very smart dog