It is currently October 18th, 2017, 4:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Expanding your habitat?
PostPosted: April 22nd, 2013, 11:03 am 
Gadwall

Well it's the off season, what's everyone doing to help get more ducks on their land?

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2013, 12:57 pm 
Harlequin Duck

Corn, corn, and more corn.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2013, 1:36 pm 
Harlequin Duck

Hahaha. Corn.

Ours fluctuates due to whatever is being planted. Last year we had about 10 acres or so of flooded corn, hopefully this year we should have between 25-50.
I've talked to some guys who know what they're doing and probably going to go back and add some brown top to ours around late June, early July.
We've got some select cutting to do on a green timber hole we have. We've marked a bunch of gum trees back in February that we'll take out soon. Hopefully that will open the canopy up on it a little to get some birds down in the hole a little better. Might even allow a little planting of some millet to bring them in a little more.
They started last week cleaning up another farm that was logged late last summer. It has about 30 acres of green timber/flooded swamps so hopefully we'll end up adding another 15-20 acres in corn next year around the edges of those holes, so maybe some of it will help.
It never ends...

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2013, 1:51 pm 
Harlequin Duck

Sweet potaters and molasses!

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2013, 4:46 pm 
Harlequin Duck

4 month old honey buns are the cat's meow.

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2013, 7:50 pm 
Harlequin Duck

Plan on trying to control water levels on a flooded timber hole that stays flooded the majority of the year. If i can get the water out I'm planting rice.

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2013, 8:03 pm 
Harlequin Duck

duckhunter15 wrote:
Plan on trying to control water levels on a flooded timber hole that stays flooded the majority of the year. If i can get the water out I'm planting rice.

I would advise against.

PostPosted: April 24th, 2013, 11:01 am 
Gadwall

muddycreek wrote:
duckhunter15 wrote:

I would advise against.

Why is that?

PostPosted: April 24th, 2013, 12:12 pm 
Harlequin Duck

Had a lot of stories if ducks in Alabama not touching rice. Not sure why, but they won't usually.

PostPosted: April 24th, 2013, 12:18 pm 
Harlequin Duck

Don't limit yourself to one food source for ducks, they will only eat so much of certain things before moving onto the next substance of their interest. Corn and millet will produce birds in AL, need surface food and sumberged food to get a variety of birds. If you have smart weed or duck weed and can plant something along with that you should be good to go.

PostPosted: April 24th, 2013, 12:25 pm 
Harlequin Duck

Yeah I agree. Need to give them as much of an entire salad bar as you can. That's kinda what we try to do. I'm going to put a bunch of duckweed into our swamps to make them more attractive, along with adding some millet in them. Our ponds this year will be mainly planted in corn, then we're going back and spreading it with brown top, jap and wgf sorghum in them. Gonna try dirty corn this year to see how it does.
Variety is the spice of life.

PostPosted: April 24th, 2013, 9:39 pm 
Harlequin Duck

muddycreek wrote:
duckhunter15 wrote:

I would advise against.

Shouldve added that I was going to throw in millet. It wouldn't hurt to mix brown top and jap millet together would it?

PostPosted: April 24th, 2013, 9:53 pm 
Harlequin Duck

No. I just wouldn't waste money on rice.

PostPosted: April 25th, 2013, 6:51 pm 
Tundra Swan

I know of one place in Blount county that has done rice for many years. Its worked well for them but it is in an open field.

Dixie Land Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/pages/Dixie-Land-Calls/81636971363?ref=nf

PostPosted: July 30th, 2013, 9:43 pm 
Canvasback

After 3rd year of good and crappy looking rice and zero big ducks I swapped to 50% corn, the other 50% Egyptian wheat, Jap Millet, Brown top Millet, sorghum. We started then to kill big ducks regularly. We also shot our 3 woodies over rice but I shot 2 before rice and 3 after. Also I don't mix my millets and grain with corn. I drill my corn and then drill my grain. We normally sit in the grain and hunt over the corn as it wilts and falls over or ill knock a section over with my gator.

1. Jesus Christ

2. The American G. I.

One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

PostPosted: July 30th, 2013, 9:55 pm 
Harlequin Duck

Southern Heritage wrote:
After 3rd year of good and crappy looking rice and zero big ducks I swapped to 50% corn, the other 50% Egyptian wheat, Jap Millet, Brown top Millet, sorghum. We started then to kill big ducks regularly. We also shot our 3 woodies over rice but I shot 2 before rice and 3 after. Also I don't mix my millets and grain with corn. I drill my corn and then drill my grain. We normally sit in the grain and hunt over the corn as it wilts and falls over or ill knock a section over with my gator.

Might wanna use a little common sense unless you want Mr. Greenjeans to visit you. Amazes me how blatantly ignorant people will be on the internet.

On a lighter note, I do love some eWheat for ducks. Doesn't do much for feed, but provides some fantastic cover. When we can plant, we put in corn, corn, corn, jap, and browntop.
How's drilling corn work out for you? You block off every other seed drop?

PostPosted: July 30th, 2013, 11:20 pm 
Canvasback

Grain sorghum!!!!!

PostPosted: November 20th, 2013, 6:16 pm 
Ruddy Duck

Ducks need both moist soil plants, and grain producing plants. If you would like to have the absolute best set up plant corn. Plant it at a rate of 11 inches between plants, and 36 inches between rows. Once you let it get up 3-4 inches tall go back over it and spread brown top and Japanese millet, you can even throw in some smartweed. If you do this, you will kill ducks.

This is probably the best way to plant a field for ducks. It has been researched by grad students over and over. Try it and see the results.