It is currently October 23rd, 2017, 3:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Insurance
PostPosted: December 27th, 2013, 11:01 am 
Redhead

So I have had our companies "Obamacare" style insurance through BC/BS for over a year now. I feel I have had it plenty of time to gripe about it now. I curently pay about $250/month for premiums. I get a statement every time one of the kids goes to the doc. As of today's date, BC/BS has paid ZERO dollars out, and I have paid 1220 in deductibles on medical alone. Not including prescriptions (our plan dropped those, all out of pocket now). Probably paid closer to 2000 with prescriptions. My gripe is two-fold... WTF were people thinking when they voted for this idiot? TWICE! Second, how in the world does a president who hates capitalism make a law allowing huge insurance companies to make even more money hand over fist off of working class folks?

So, in summary, I have paid over $8000 this year for medical, over 6000 of which went to a company who has paid out nothing towards my families medical expenses. For this 6000, I received a plastic card. Yay me...

Post subject: Re: Insurance
PostPosted: December 27th, 2013, 11:13 am 
Redhead

stevena198301 wrote:
So I have had our companies "Obamacare" style insurance through BC/BS for over a year now. I feel I have had it plenty of time to gripe about it now. I curently pay about $250/month for premiums. I get a statement every time one of the kids goes to the doc. As of today's date, BC/BS has paid ZERO dollars out, and I have paid 1220 in deductibles on medical alone. Not including prescriptions (our plan dropped those, all out of pocket now). Probably paid closer to 2000 with prescriptions. My gripe is two-fold... WTF were people thinking when they voted for this idiot? TWICE! Second, how in the world does a president who hates capitalism make a law allowing huge insurance companies to make even more money hand over fist off of working class folks?

So, in summary, I have paid over $8000 this year for medical, over 6000 of which went to a company who has paid out nothing towards my families medical expenses. For this 6000, I received a plastic card. Yay me...

You "effectively" do not have insurance. You have a "catastropic" plan. Sux I know. I do not have insurance right now and I am VERY fortunate to not have needed it. Kids have it though. Your company is not in the monority of trending companies offering plans that have an outrageous out of pocket expense before any payments kick in. Saves them money. Why this trend, Democrats.

PostPosted: December 27th, 2013, 2:03 pm 
Redhead

Very true. My deductible is 9000, 3k per dependent BEFORE they pay anything. Our company instated this a full year before they had to. Pitiful...

Saved them tons though!

PostPosted: December 27th, 2013, 9:42 pm 
Redhead

Well you haven't seen anything yet! I have been in the insurance business for 15 years now. I have been to numerous seminars on the the new healthcare reform act. The bill actually has language in it that will bail insurance companies out with tax payer dollars if they fail. Just like the car company bail out. Just wait until next year when the 2015 renewals come out. It will be as bad as the renewals now. Premiums have gone up which has less people enrolling. They will raise premiums again to make up the loss and less people will enroll. The cycle will bankrupt insurance companies, which make up 1/6 of the nations business income. Do the math, get ready, we are screwed!!! I am pissed!!!

PostPosted: December 28th, 2013, 12:11 pm 
Pintail

stevena198301 wrote:
Saved them tons though!

I don't know the specifics for your company, but if they are paying for your coverage I doubt they saved any money.

Up to this point, my company has paid the first $300 for the monthly coverage of the employee with the employee paying the remainder (currently about $30/mo.) My company's BCBS renewal happens each year in January. We met with our BCBC rep earlier in the month & went over our options.We narrowed it down to 3 options that we let the employees vote on.

Option #1) Company continues to pay the same amount ($300) & employee portion remains the same ($30/mo.) Unfortunately, $330/mo will no longer buy the policy we once had. The policy that it will buy now has $2K deductible per person & co-pays go from $30/visit to $50/visit. (THIS IS WHAT THEY PICKED.)

Option #2) Company continues to pay the same amount ($300) & employee portion increases to $100/mo. This buys essentially the same policy we currently have. (Employees did not want to come out of pocket any more.)

Option #3) Company quits offering insurance to emplyees and gives everyone a raise equal to $300/mo. Everyone is on their own to get coverage. (This got "0" votes.)

In the real world, a company the size of ours (30-35 employees)can't afford to pay much more per person. It already makes up a $9,000+/month expense. (We use to pay 100% back when monthly premiums were less than $300/mo.) Unfortunately, we still have some employees that somehow blame us (the employer) as if WE are trying to stick it to them instead of realizing we are only playing with the cards that we dealt to us by the guy THEY voted for.

PostPosted: December 28th, 2013, 7:52 pm 
Canvasback

I havent had insurance since I was ab 12 years old, been hurt or sick enough to go to the doctor very few times, paid my bills and got prescriptions happily even paid for some dental work after college, I'm 27yrs old now and me/parents have maybe paid $4-$5 thousand total including dental work since age 10-12 and now I'm required by law to buy insurance?? And on top of that my premiums that I pay today could be goin towards an abortion tomorrow? This is total bs and totally out of hand. Thank goodness I'll have insurance through my new job and won't get fined for not having any. American freedoms are on the endangered species list and if you think things will get better after the current president is out of office then you clearly don't understand the real problem!

PostPosted: December 28th, 2013, 11:16 pm 
Redhead

HippieKiller wrote:
stevena198301 wrote:
Saved them tons though!

I don't know the specifics for your company, but if they are paying for your coverage I doubt they saved any money.

Up to this point, my company has paid the first $300 for the monthly coverage of the employee with the employee paying the remainder (currently about $30/mo.) My company's BCBS renewal happens each year in January. We met with our BCBC rep earlier in the month & went over our options.We narrowed it down to 3 options that we let the employees vote on.

Option #1) Company continues to pay the same amount ($300) & employee portion remains the same ($30/mo.) Unfortunately, $330/mo will no longer buy the policy we once had. The policy that it will buy now has $2K deductible per person & co-pays go from $30/visit to $50/visit. (THIS IS WHAT THEY PICKED.)

Option #2) Company continues to pay the same amount ($300) & employee portion increases to $100/mo. This buys essentially the same policy we currently have. (Employees did not want to come out of pocket any more.)

Option #3) Company quits offering insurance to emplyees and gives everyone a raise equal to $300/mo. Everyone is on their own to get coverage. (This got "0" votes.)

In the real world, a company the size of ours (30-35 employees)can't afford to pay much more per person. It already makes up a $9,000+/month expense. (We use to pay 100% back when monthly premiums were less than $300/mo.) Unfortunately, we still have some employees that somehow blame us (the employer) as if WE are trying to stick it to them instead of realizing we are only playing with the cards that we dealt to us by the guy THEY voted for.

I work for an international company that is 45000 strong. They decided to contribute LESS, we contribute the SAME (roughly), but our deductibles went from 250 to 3000 per person per year. We used to go off Alabama prices, now we go off Kalifornia prices, since that is where our new corporate offices are, per our HR folks. Our allowable coverages also dropped, network shrank, and the MOST they will ever cover is 80% of anything they feel they should cover.

My friend who is the COO of his 30 employee company is in the same boat you are. Their premiums are about to go up 20k or more a year on 30 employees. They have decided to eat it as long as they can, but he knows they will not be able to do it more than a year or two. The ONLY reason I think my company is doing wrong is that we have million dollar a year folks, getting millions more a year in bonuses. Yes, they have succeeded, and deserve bonuses, but just a few of those and that could offset.

I have kids, I don't have the luxury of not having insurance. If it were me, I wouldn't. I haven't been to a doctor in years, but they are there several times a year, need glasses, need shots, need braces, break bones (my oldest daughter has broken 7), etc...

I'm an idiot, but not a complete idiot. Way I see it lots of folks are getting rich off this.