It is currently December 13th, 2017, 7:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: heartworm question
PostPosted: May 10th, 2015, 3:49 pm 
Banded Black Duck

claimsman wrote:
Has anyone ever heard of a dog testing positive when on adv multi? I can say for certain I have not to this point. If I'm not mistaken it is approved for medicating light loads, is this accurate?

As far as what I've read lately, and it being a lot. I have seen several sites stating that there has not been a positive heartworm test reported with a dog being on Adv multi administered properly.
As far as using it treating for light positive test, the only method the American Heartworm Society will stand behind and recommend is the fast kill method using melarsomine. With that being said I don't know how or by who it would have to be approved by. I have read ALOT where people used it as a slow kill method and have had great success. Most of those reports I read said it was more about the melarsomine and hurting their dog and cost wasn't the deciding factor. I guess back in the day the fast kill method and drug used was a lot more harsh on the dogs and a lot of people remember the fast kill method as harsh.

PostPosted: May 11th, 2015, 9:33 am 
Tundra Swan

Quote:
As far as what I've read lately, and it being a lot. I have seen several sites stating that there has not been a positive heartworm test reported with a dog being on Adv multi administered properly.

Also from the Heartworm Society
Every compound currently marketed in every form of administration (oral, topical, and parenteral) has been shown to be less than perfect in at least one study. .....This includes Multi

Being administered properly is the problem with Ivermectin as well. If you don't give it to them it can't work.
Siting the Heartworm Society again...
"Lack of efficacy in heartworm preventives can be related to many factors, including resistance, but the most important of these is compliance."
i.e. The failures I have heard about from multi as well as many of the failure that I've heard about form Ivermectin could all be directly related to how /when the drug was given to the dog

Quote:
As far as using it treating for light positive test, the only method the American Heartworm Society will stand behind and recommend is the fast kill method using melarsomine. With that being said I don't know how or by who it would have to be approved by.

The Heartworm Society has no binding opinion....only the FDA. Anytime the Fed Gov is involved you are guaranteed to get the best and cutting edge information .....right? The FDA is who keeps the Vets in the loop and makes it illegal to obtain Heartworm medicine without a prescription.

From the Heartworm Society regarding the " resistant strains rumors"
"Research findings do not demonstrate widespread ineffectiveness of available heartworm preventives; MLs continue to be effective in the vast majority of cases"
This includes Ivermectin

Quote:
I have read ALOT where people used it as a slow kill method and have had great success. Most of those reports I read said it was more about the melarsomine and hurting their dog and cost wasn't the deciding factor. I guess back in the day the fast kill method and drug used was a lot more harsh on the dogs and a lot of people remember the fast kill method as harsh.

Not too long ago there was a shortage of the drug melarsomine. By necessity many people were forced to use the Slow kill method and found that it did work. However, I doubt that any dog with a severe infestation could be saved by that method.

Multi has a great ad campaign going right now. But, the use of Rockstar dog trainers who are paid to promote it's use does not make it more effective. I think the factors (if proven to be true) that may end up making Moxidectin the drug of choice for the majority of the dog community will be the combination of staying in the blood stream longer and being effective on Adult worms.

The one statement that blows the credibility of the Heartworm Society...
"the off-label use of large-animal products as Heartworm preventives, is not recommended."
Acetaminophen and Tylenol are the same thing.
Ivermectin is the same drug that is in Heartguard, Iverhart. If it prevents Heartworms in sheep it will also in dogs.
It does not work better just because a Vet wrote a prescription.
Moxidectin is the same drug that is in Multi, Proheart , etc. If it prevents Heartworms in sheep it will also in dogs.
It does not work better just because a Vet wrote a prescription.
"Look on the Sponsors Page"
Bayer, Merick, Merial, Verbac, etc are paid sponsors

PostPosted: May 11th, 2015, 7:26 pm 
Banded Black Duck

:shock: Kenneth, you're going to have to refund a days worth of training fees to your clients, that had to of taken a day of lost training to get together. I know you made a point in there somewhere but my A.D.D kicked in and I got to thinking about how blue was my favorite color and thinking about funny sheep videos.
Here is my favorite one :P http://youtu.be/D2FX9rviEhw

Back to the heartworms. I think what I gathered from that was that we agree being administered properly is key. I have no stock in any brand and it doesn't bother me what brand or drug people use as preventative . I for one have a failure case of being administered properly while using Virbac IverhartMax with Ivermectin as the heart worm preventative, sitting in my kennel. I haven't heard of any failed test while administered properly using several other brands or active ingredients, if you will. I know the active ingredient is the same is what ever "name brands" they compare to. As far as the vet goes, I'll go with what ever she recommends as preventatives and treatment, she knows a whole heck of a lot more about these animals than I ever will.

PostPosted: May 11th, 2015, 8:44 pm 
Tundra Swan

I do apologize for hijacking your thread. I hope Drake makes it through no worse for wear. Yes there are a couple of points in there but it is a long post. Main point..follow the money. Those who are getting paid to recommend something will recommend that something regardless. Heartworm Society claims that no preventative is 100% effective.

PostPosted: May 13th, 2015, 9:43 pm 
Banded Black Duck

Thanks Ken. He's doing great. Getting a little stir crazy being crated up all the time but going good. You didn't hijack it, This post and the comments have been more than helpful to me(lots more than my rtf post). I was afraid I'd be the only person I knew of to of delt with heartworms, didn't really know what or how common of a thing I was dealing with, with it being it my first dog. I'm glad people I know have went through it with different methods and have had success with all methods, helps to ease my mind a little.