It is currently December 13th, 2017, 2:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

This is pretty wide open, but there are just a few rules.

1) This is NOT a place to sell calls or dekes. This is just to share your work and discuss techniques - and get feedback.

2) If you post up a piece of work,and it gets made fun of - not our problem. When you post a piece for critique you better be able to handle negative comments. If you can't handle negative remarks - don't post.

3) IF you make 20 duck calls, please don't add 20 topics in the same day. Put all 20 in one topic. Now if you make some more next week, feel free to add a new post.

THANKS AND HAVE FUN!

Post subject: Delvies acrylic dowels
PostPosted: September 3rd, 2013, 9:59 am 
Hooded Merganser

So ive been playing around for a few months now by turning barrels and inserts out of different kinds of wood and some cheap acrylic that was really easy to turn but I recently ordered some acrylic from delvies and I cant turn that stuff worth nothing. Now I know i have some crappy beginners tools and that is what my question is, what brand tools do I need to go with that is still easy on the pocket book? And what style of tools do I need like roughing gouge, etc? Im by no means an expert but I just started this hobby and really enjoy doing it and would love some advice on any of it! Thanks in advance

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2013, 10:44 am 
Wood Duck

As far as what tools you need to turn acrylic, I would say that is personal preference. But whatever you use it has to be sharp. If you're turning acrylic with dull tools you're wasting you're time. I prefer a round nose scraper in hss and I have a round carbide tool from things western I believe, that I like pretty well. Main thing in my opinion is sharp tools and take your time.

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2013, 11:09 am 
Tundra Swan

no issues turning acrylic with the same tools you turn wood with.. just make sure they are sharp and its just a new learning curve on the feel for acrylic... if your chattering the acrylic your applying to much pressure.. if your getting long ribbons peeling off your doing it right.. i remember when i first started with acrylic i hated the stuff.. now i would rather turn 100 acrylic calls over 1 wood one...

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2013, 11:29 am 
Hooded Merganser

Yeah I think the sharpness is my issue because I've been turning other stuff and I only have a $20 set of wood turning tools from Home Depot so I'm pretty sure that's the problem. What speed should I be turnin the acrylic at?

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2013, 11:55 am 
Tundra Swan

i turn mine at the highest speed... some ppl say turn it 3/4 your lathe speed.. personally i have no issues turning at high so thats what i go with... play around with it until you get comfortable with it..

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2013, 12:01 pm 
Hooded Merganser

I appreciate all the advice!! Do you have a preference on tool brand or where to get some decent ones?

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2013, 12:11 pm 
Tundra Swan

to be honest im still turning with the highest priced set you could get at Habor Freight.. the set was around $100.. they are HSS and i just keep them sharp and have no issues... i do have a few other carbide tip tools that have interchanable tips that i use for various other projects where tear out of material is more crucial (suck as cross cut woods and turkey pots).. but for duck calls i use the ole harbor freights.. have made hundreds and hundreds of calls with them...

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2013, 12:13 pm 
Hooded Merganser

Well that's exactly what I needed to know! I appreciate it a lot!

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2013, 2:59 pm 
Tundra Swan

Agree with deeks. I turn acrylic with HSS round nose from Harbor Freight.

I do have higher end tools, I like Crown but it seems most turners like Sorby.

Dixie Land Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/pages/Dixie-Land-Calls/81636971363?ref=nf

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2013, 7:44 pm 
Tundra Swan

Also another thing to keep handy when staring with acrylic when your trying to get chatter out without chipping anymore.. get a large round file like a chainsaw sharpening file but about 1/2" diameter.. u can work out chips safely without risking chipping material again.. can't tell u how many times I have cleaned up a mistake with a file.. another tip for squaring off stock you didn't cut as straight as u need is to put your blank on you lathe mandrel and turn on the lathe and use a hack saw (just rest the blade on material and let the lathe do the work) don't saw like u normally would... lots of tricks when working on a lathe just a couple that I use that can save ya a lil time..

PostPosted: September 4th, 2013, 11:00 pm 
Red-Headed Peckerwood

75% of my work is done with hss tools but I got a carbide tipped one that I do a good bit with. As the others have said, keep Em sharp! I didn't understand just how sharp they needed to be. I honestly could never keep them sharp enough with a file so I bought a grinder and that solved that problem.