It is currently December 11th, 2017, 11:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Grilled Crappie filets
PostPosted: August 22nd, 2013, 9:13 pm 
Harlequin Duck

Anyone have any good recipes for crappie filets on a charcoal grill?

How many are your works, LORD! In wisdom you made them all; the earth is full of your creatures. Psalm 104:24
I will sing to the LORD all my life; I will sing praise to my God as long as I live. Psalm 104:33

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2013, 10:08 am 
Canvasback

Zatarans lemon pepper batter hot oil at 300 degrees fry for 3-5 minutes!!! Only way

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2013, 10:51 am 
Harlequin Duck

5dollardog wrote:
Zatarans lemon pepper batter hot oil at 300 degrees fry for 3-5 minutes!!! Only way

I know they are FINE fried, but I'm trying to cut back on the fried foods.
I was hoping some guys on here had some good recipes
I'm gonna try them blackened first. I've never had any fish that wasn't good blackened.

How many are your works, LORD! In wisdom you made them all; the earth is full of your creatures. Psalm 104:24
I will sing to the LORD all my life; I will sing praise to my God as long as I live. Psalm 104:33

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2013, 12:07 pm 
Pintail

Lemmon juice, salt, pepper. Wrap in tin foil and cook them in the oven on about 300 degrees for about 20 minutes. Nothing fancy but pretty good.

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2013, 12:21 pm 
Harlequin Duck

Last charter I was on offshore they had a green egg set up on the back of the boat and were cooking on it all day. Started out with Conecuh sausages for breakfast and snapper for lunch. Guy just filleted it, added some olive oil and greek seasoning and let it sit for a few minutes. It was outstanding. I've done some tilapia and grouper the same way on my grill since then and it's been great. I'm sure crappie would be just as good. Less is more IMO.

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2013, 2:47 pm 
Harlequin Duck

muddycreek wrote:
Last charter I was on offshore they had a green egg set up on the back of the boat and were cooking on it all day. Started out with Conecuh sausages for breakfast and snapper for lunch. Guy just filleted it, added some olive oil and greek seasoning and let it sit for a few minutes. It was outstanding. I've done some tilapia and grouper the same way on my grill since then and it's been great. I'm sure crappie would be just as good. Less is more IMO.

You got a link to prove that? :many
Jk man
I will try that tomorrow!

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2013, 3:12 pm 
Tundra Swan

music_man wrote:

I like the lemon-pepper but my favorite is the Tony Chachere's creole seasoning. I pat the fillet dry, add just a touch of olive oil (so it won't stick), and sprinkle with the creole seasoning. It's pretty salty so you may start out light. Wrap in foil & throw on grill. I ususally cook it 10-12 min. & then start checking to see if its done. Larger fillets take a little longer. If that's a little to "moist" for your tastes, you can use one of the "fillet baskets" to grill them. The fish will be a little dryer. I usually cook on med/low heat using a gas grill. Don't have much experience with the charcoal. :wink:

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2013, 3:32 pm 
Harlequin Duck

MallardMonkeys wrote:
music_man wrote:

I like the lemon-pepper but my favorite is the Tony Chachere's creole seasoning. I pat the fillet dry, add just a touch of olive oil (so it won't stick), and sprinkle with the creole seasoning. It's pretty salty so you may start out light. Wrap in foil & throw on grill. I ususally cook it 10-12 min. & then start checking to see if its done. Larger fillets take a little longer. If that's a little to "moist" for your tastes, you can use one of the "fillet baskets" to grill them. The fish will be a little dryer. I usually cook on med/low heat using a gas grill. Don't have much experience with the charcoal. :wink:

Thanks
I will try this too
I have PLENTY filets to experiment with.

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2013, 4:37 pm 
Canvasback

Try this and you will thank me later:

Take filet and rub butter all over it (melted better is easily brushed on);

Sprinkle Tony Chachere's seasoning on both sides of filet;

Put filet in microwave on high for 2 minutes.

Enjoy!

Lonnie Spann

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2013, 8:17 pm 
Redhead

You can put a glass casserole dish on the grill and cook the fillets in it. Olive oil, sliced lemons, salt pepper, put some tomato wedges in, onions, sprinkle a little Worcester sauce on it. Yum! And I know this is taboo to bass fishermen but the recipe above is mighty tasty with bass filets!

PostPosted: August 24th, 2013, 11:10 am 
Canvasback

Butter + Tony's all you need!

PostPosted: September 6th, 2013, 12:35 pm 
Wood Duck

Crappie Tacos!

Put fillets, lemon juice, and butter sealed in aluminum foil on the grill. Once they are cooked drain the majority of the juice off and put fillets into a big bowl or large oven pan. Use whatever kitchen utensil to break apart the fillets into small flaky pieces. Then add your favorite taco seasoning packet (depending on amount of crappie you might need 2 or 3 packets, I use about 1 packet per dozen fillets)! Work the seasoning into the fillet bits for a few minutes. Then your crappie taco meat is ready!

Enjoy!

PostPosted: September 24th, 2013, 10:49 pm 
Hooded Merganser

I'm a fan of putting just zesty Italian dressing maybe a touch of butter wrapping it in foil and throwing it on the grill myself

PostPosted: September 25th, 2013, 4:36 am 
Tundra Swan

Location: Parks City, TN just over the Bama line North of Huntsville
:D
YUm-Yum !!!!

I don't Batter mine.
Lemon juice and a little melted Butter with some "TARAGON", (or pepper) works great for crappie and bream one the grill.

If you are grilling the whole fish, then just put them right on the grill and use a brush and constantly marinate them while they cook.
Of course it is best to use a Flat "spatula" and flip them like pancakes.

when I am grilling Fillets I have a couple of fish grilling tools that keep them from falling apart.
Hard to describe, but it looks like two small grilling grates hinged together with a long handle.

It only takes a couple of minutes per side ....
Taste Great, and none of that unhealthy Grease from frying.

God Bless you

http://www.sportsmensdevotional.com/prayer.htm

PostPosted: January 12th, 2014, 9:39 pm 
Ruddy Duck

Dang it now y'all got me all worked up! I need to go crappie fishing!

PostPosted: January 13th, 2014, 1:05 am 
Hooded Merganser

X2 on the Tony C's and the grill baskets. They are so tender and flaky that they fall apart easily. You'll lose them through the grill when you try to turn them without the baskets.

PostPosted: January 14th, 2014, 11:26 am 
Wood Duck

Outlaw69 wrote:
X2 on the Tony C's and the grill baskets. They are so tender and flaky that they fall apart easily. You'll lose them through the grill when you try to turn them without the baskets.

Leave the scales on one side. Filet them just like normal except leave the skin on one side. Use the side with scales to grill on. Works great and won't fall through the grill or come apart when trying to take them off.

If your going to blacken it, which I recommend, you literally can't beat Chef Paul Prudhomme's Redfish Magic seasoning. It's money on anything that swims. Brush melted butter on meat, liberal sprinkling of Redfish magic, on an average grill you should be finished cooking on Medium 5-7 minutes. People always overcook fish. If it flakes it eats.

PostPosted: January 14th, 2014, 12:29 pm 
Wood Duck

Auman365 wrote:
Outlaw69 wrote:
you literally can't beat Chef Paul Prudhomme's Redfish Magic seasoning

x1000! Best there is!