It is currently October 21st, 2017, 2:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Goose
PostPosted: March 9th, 2013, 2:48 pm 
Canvasback

What's best way to cook it? I've had it on the grill with dales and bacon but it still didn't taste to good. Hate to cook it like that and it not taste good and waste it. I've also heard that it is just goose meat that taste awful.

Post subject: Re: Goose
PostPosted: March 9th, 2013, 4:46 pm 
Wood Duck

jerky

PostPosted: March 9th, 2013, 5:23 pm 
Tundra Swan

Cook it like a roast in the crock pot, I like to put 2 breasts in the cooker then use either half chicken broth or use 2 beef bullion cubes then fill it up with water, just cook it like any other roast.

Lead, the original Black Cloud.

PostPosted: March 10th, 2013, 10:02 pm 
Wood Duck

Cut it in strips across the grain. Make sure that you cut it across the grain if you want it tender!!! Then marinade it in moores, milk an some apple cider vinegar and the marinade should be a milk chocolate brown. The batter it in flour and your other dry seasonings and fry it.

PostPosted: March 11th, 2013, 3:10 am 
Tundra Swan

Location: Parks City, TN just over the Bama line North of Huntsville
mud boat wrote:
Cut it in strips across the grain. Make sure that you cut it across the grain if you want it tender!!! Then marinade it in moores, milk an some apple cider vinegar and the marinade should be a milk chocolate brown. The batter it in flour and your other dry seasonings and fry it.

+1

I just use Dales 50-50 with water or Sprite.
Then I put the strips In a pyrex dish and either cook them in the oven (around 350) or Microwave them.
Do NOT overcook them, a little rare , like a steak, and they taste great !!!!

Most folks don't like cooked geese because they overcook them and it taste like old hunting boots....
But if you will cook them rare and eat them like a sirloin, you will be surprised at how good they taste !!!!

God Bless you

http://www.sportsmensdevotional.com/prayer.htm

PostPosted: March 11th, 2013, 7:08 am 
Wood Duck

Smoked goose is the best way I've had it

PostPosted: March 11th, 2013, 8:16 pm 
Tundra Swan

I tried smoking geese and never could keep it lit :(

PostPosted: March 12th, 2013, 10:58 am 
Gadwall

Go to duckhinter.net
Lots of recipes. The one using coffee is good.

PostPosted: March 12th, 2013, 11:03 am 
Banded Black Duck

Marinate in diesel fuel for a week.....

Cook it however you want...... It might not be good when you eat it, but at least it won't taste like a goose!! :lol:

'Cupped

PostPosted: September 26th, 2013, 3:07 pm 
Gadwall

Check out this guy's recipes. http://honest-food.net/wild-game/duck-goose-recipes/
I've used his methods to roast and smoke ducks and they changed my life. I'm going to try his smoking technique on a goose for the first time.
Like gobama123 said, ducks/geese absolutely must be cooked to no more than pink. Around 140-150 degrees in the center. They aren't chicken and those temps are plenty enough to kill any bugs.

PostPosted: September 26th, 2013, 3:27 pm 
Wood Duck

Recipe #1: Soak in water for a week and keep the water changed until all visible blood has been soaked out. Cut the goose breast as thin as you possibly can across the grain. batter it with flour and season to your liking and fry it.

Recipe # 2: cut the breast into 1 x 1 inch pieces of meat ( like a cube). Then marinate the cubes in a mixture of of half dales and half worstershire. Also pour a whole beer of your choice into the marinade. Marinate overnight. take whole jalepeno peppers and cut them in half and scrape out seeds. Then cut into quarters. put cream cheese inside the peppers. Take your meat and put it on toothpicks. Put peppers stuffed with creamcheese on the outside of the meat and rap in a piece of bacon. Grill until medium rare. Alot of prep but it is some of the best waterfowl i have eaten.

Dont Forget DO NOT over cook!!! Medium rare at the most done... You can ruin all wild game by overcooking.

PostPosted: September 27th, 2013, 12:50 pm 
Tundra Swan

Location: Parks City, TN just over the Bama line North of Huntsville
Dshirley wrote:
Recipe #1: Soak in water for a week and keep the water changed until all visible blood has been soaked out. Cut the goose breast as thin as you possibly can across the grain. batter it with flour and season to your liking and fry it.

Recipe # 2: cut the breast into 1 x 1 inch pieces of meat ( like a cube). Then marinate the cubes in a mixture of of half dales and half worstershire. Also pour a whole beer of your choice into the marinade. Marinate overnight. take whole jalepeno peppers and cut them in half and scrape out seeds. Then cut into quarters. put cream cheese inside the peppers. Take your meat and put it on toothpicks. Put peppers stuffed with creamcheese on the outside of the meat and rap in a piece of bacon. Grill until medium rare. Alot of prep but it is some of the best waterfowl i have eaten.

Dont Forget DO NOT over cook!!! Medium rare at the most done... You can ruin all wild game by overcooking.

+1
+1
+1

100% TRUE !

God Bless you

http://www.sportsmensdevotional.com/prayer.htm

PostPosted: September 27th, 2013, 6:50 pm 
Gadwall

Here is some breast meat from the Canada I smoked today. It did not taste like liver. It was not tough. It was delicious(little bit like steak) and the rest of it will be amazing when I use it in gumbo.
The keys:
I aged it, in the feathers, in the fridge for a few days to tenderize.
I plucked the thing and left the skin/fat on. It insulates the meat from overcooking and leaves a ton of great flavor.
I brined it overnight.
I did not use any marinades to mask the natural goodness. Only a little cajun seasoning on the outside.
I used a thermometer to make sure it didn't get over 140 (some of it got a little higher, but not too bad)

Attachments:
IMG_20130927_182406_418.jpg
IMG_20130927_182406_418.jpg [ 716.34 KiB | Viewed 1617 times ]