It is currently December 13th, 2017, 7:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hevi Shot magnum blend
PostPosted: February 21st, 2014, 4:22 pm 
Redhead

I have read and read reviews on these shells but after trying them I haven't seen anywhere near the results as the ones that wrote the reviews. I'm shooting them outa a beretta xtrema 2 with an Indian creek choke. At 40yrds most of the shot is a foot low. Even after compensating for the drop im only getting 15-20 pellets in the head and neck of the target. Anyone got any good recommendations on shells to shoot with the Indian Creek choke.

PostPosted: February 21st, 2014, 10:28 pm 
Gadwall

I have never patterned them, but I killed (not crippled) a canada goose at 65yds with a load of number 5s. I was reading some balistics on them and either # 2 or BB has enough energy to go through a goose at 60yds. I believe the artlicle said they patterned best in an i/c barrel I believe. That is what I was shooting when I killed the goose. I don't believe heavy shot is round. You might try and google the balistics and find the same article. I can't remember where I read it.

PostPosted: February 21st, 2014, 11:58 pm 
Canvasback

all the patterns ive seen are dang good. my extrema shot low thats why i sold it. i bought some but shot all my birds like 10 and in ,but it killed all dead as disco tho. just too expensive for me to shoot all the time.

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2014, 10:51 am 
Redhead

I shoot them out of a Maxus, with a X-Full choke made specifically for high density shells. The package for the choke had a Hevi-Shot logo on it. I can't remember the brand. I have killed all three birds I shot at with the Magnum blend. One at 11 yards, one at 40 yards, and one at almost 50. All with one shot, graveyard dead. Just bought another box of them last week. They are now $7/pop. Getting expensive to shoot thunder chickens... As for patterning, does your gun always shoot a foot low? Try a high brass dove load out of your turkey choke. Make sure it isn't the gun. Mine shot a bit low as well, but it was the sights I had put on it. Now with just the bead, its better.

It is very crucial to use a choke that is made for HD shells when shooting any HD load. Safety third.

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2014, 2:01 pm 
Redhead

stevena198301 wrote:
I shoot them out of a Maxus, with a X-Full choke made specifically for high density shells. The package for the choke had a Hevi-Shot logo on it. I can't remember the brand. I have killed all three birds I shot at with the Magnum blend. One at 11 yards, one at 40 yards, and one at almost 50. All with one shot, graveyard dead. Just bought another box of them last week. They are now $7/pop. Getting expensive to shoot thunder chickens... As for patterning, does your gun always shoot a foot low? Try a high brass dove load out of your turkey choke. Make sure it isn't the gun. Mine shot a bit low as well, but it was the sights I had put on it. Now with just the bead, its better.

It is very crucial to use a choke that is made for HD shells when shooting any HD load. Safety third.

Those shells are the only ones the gun shoots low with. Because they are $7 a shot I put my gun in a vice made for big game rifles to help take any human error out. The first shot actually never hit the target at 50yrds, whole load hit the ground in front of the target. So next I did what you said, mover up to 30yrds put a high brass rio in and shot the target, the pattern did seem low but it still hit the paper. I then changed my shims in the stock to raise the pattern. I shot the rio again and the center of the pattern was higher. So I put the target back at 40yrds and shot another rio and it still looked good. So I decided to shoot another hevi shot through it and see where the pattern was. I saw the grass and dirt fly up in front of the target when I shot. The whole load didn't hit the ground this time, maybe half of it. It looked like spread out about like the rio did. I then shot some federal shells through it just to see. One was a 3.5 # 4 and the other a #5. The #5 looked the best but for an $85 choke tube I'm not impressed, I got a jelly head choke I got at Walmart that patterns better than this Indian creek does.

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2014, 8:19 pm 
Redhead

With 3" 2oz of mag blend and a jelly head, I'm getting about 205 in a 10" circle at 40 yds.

Sounds to me like you need to take your gun to a good smith. There's several things that could be wrong, but not even touching the target at 40 is definitely the gun not the shell. If you had it in a vice, shims have no bearing. The barrel is pointed where its pointed. Could also be the choke tube. But as far as the shells go, I could get over 100 in the circle at 40 yds with a factory mod choke. It's not the shells is my point

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2014, 10:06 pm 
Tundra Swan

AToler wrote:
With 3" 2oz of mag blend and a jelly head, I'm getting about 205 in a 10" circle at 40 yds.

Sounds to me like you need to take your gun to a good smith. There's several things that could be wrong, but not even touching the target at 40 is definitely the gun not the shell. If you had it in a vice, shims have no bearing. The barrel is pointed where its pointed. Could also be the choke tube. But as far as the shells go, I could get over 100 in the circle at 40 yds with a factory mod choke. It's not the shells is my point

x2 on it not being the shells.
I'd definitely try a different choke tube.
Rerun your same setup with the high-brass Rios & the gun vice
- but using different choke tubes to see if there is a consistency in pattern.
Then try another hevi-shot.
That Indian Creek tube may not like high-density shot.

PostPosted: February 24th, 2014, 12:10 pm 
Wood Duck

I just bought a box of 3" mag blend and cannot wait to pattern them. will be shooting out of a Stoeger 3500 with a Primos Tight Wad.....know several people who've had very good results with this combo.

it ain't the shells......

PostPosted: February 24th, 2014, 1:18 pm 
Redhead

skinnerton_outlaw wrote:
stevena198301 wrote:

Those shells are the only ones the gun shoots low with. Because they are $7 a shot I put my gun in a vice made for big game rifles to help take any human error out. The first shot actually never hit the target at 50yrds, whole load hit the ground in front of the target. So next I did what you said, mover up to 30yrds put a high brass rio in and shot the target, the pattern did seem low but it still hit the paper. I then changed my shims in the stock to raise the pattern. I shot the rio again and the center of the pattern was higher. So I put the target back at 40yrds and shot another rio and it still looked good. So I decided to shoot another hevi shot through it and see where the pattern was. I saw the grass and dirt fly up in front of the target when I shot. The whole load didn't hit the ground this time, maybe half of it. It looked like spread out about like the rio did. I then shot some federal shells through it just to see. One was a 3.5 # 4 and the other a #5. The #5 looked the best but for an $85 choke tube I'm not impressed, I got a jelly head choke I got at Walmart that patterns better than this Indian creek does.

I'd have to believe its the tube, if in a vice the gun shot the lead/copper loads from other manufacturers. It probably doesn't like the HD loads. Try your factory full tube with the copper/lead first, then use a Mag Blend. The one I bought was a cheap-o (believe HS Strut Undertaker HD), and works well.

PostPosted: February 24th, 2014, 11:23 pm 
Harlequin Duck

dhmorrow wrote:
I have never patterned them, but I killed (not crippled) a canada goose at 65yds with a load of number 5s. I was reading some balistics on them and either # 2 or BB has enough energy to go through a goose at 60yds. I believe the artlicle said they patterned best in an i/c barrel I believe. That is what I was shooting when I killed the goose. I don't believe heavy shot is round. You might try and google the balistics and find the same article. I can't remember where I read it.

I killed a Canada at 30 with the less deadly Hevi-metal #6s. DEAD as a hammer.

Orginal Hevi-shot is unreal. They did do tests on frozen turkeys and geese at 60+.

In the early 90s we shot ducks on rice fields at LONG distance with the 16Gr per CC stuff( I think that is right) At 1,450 FPS is WAY better than lead. 60+ was the norm if needed. That was with very open chokes, like IC and SK.

It is wicked $$$ now. We were getting it from the orginal company in Macon, GA. The shells were almost clear you could see the shot.

17FT boat pushed by a motor

PostPosted: February 24th, 2014, 11:26 pm 
Redhead

Alright guys, I got another Indian Creek choke shot it again today in the vice at 40 yards with federal 4's, 5's, and nitro mega weight. Everything hit low on the target. Swapped over to a kicks .655 and shot the federal 4 and 5 and they both hit dead on with the 5's patterning best outa the two. Next I shot the federal 4, 5, and nitro mega weight through a primos jelly head. All three loads hit higher than when shot in the Indian creek with the nitro mega weight patterning the best. Didn't buy anymore of the hevi shot blends but I'm sure they would be close to the nitro shells since they are both blended shells. Thanks for the help fellas, looks like ill be rolling them with the jelly head this year.

PostPosted: February 25th, 2014, 7:05 am 
Redhead

Don't know about the Nitro blends. Are they stacked sizes or mixed? MagBlends stack it 5, then 6, then 7, not mix it all together. That is their claim anyways. I haven't had the heart to chop open a $6-7 shell. One word of warning... Out of two boxes of Mag Blends, I had 3 shells that started un-crimping at the end. I put some hot wax in the end to keep water out and ended up using all three. Two on turkey, and one on a target shot. Them suckers HURT when you aren't shooting at a bird!

Glad you found your problem!

PostPosted: February 25th, 2014, 8:17 am 
Wood Duck

Im gonna save you all some time and money. You will thank me later. Winchester longbeard xr 3 1/2 inch number 6 with a comp n choke. 22 pellets at 60 yds and with an indian creek choke 28 pellets at 60. only 25 dollars for 10. unbeleivable shells. they will put magnum blend out of business. the shells are devastating and cheap. I have shot magnum blends the last two seasons and was happy with them except for the price. Seriously i would feel comfortable out to 70 yds. and i know you are laughing about the distances. but seriously you owe it to yourself to try it.

PostPosted: February 25th, 2014, 11:29 am 
Redhead

Looked at those. I have nothing against them. I just like these mag blends. Already bought them. Still have 8-9 of them. May go with them next year. Still have about 11 of the older Win turkey loads. Maybe I won't even have to buy any next year. If I do, hopefully that'll mean I killed a good number of birds from Al, Tn, and possibly Pa. :P

PostPosted: February 25th, 2014, 1:52 pm 
Redhead

there might be something too that "risin buffer" I saw a pattern the other day with longbeard #5s with a factory stoger xfull that blew a god hole in the paper at 30. might be worth a try.

PostPosted: February 25th, 2014, 2:46 pm 
Redhead

Buddy and I just went to get his dad a birthday present at Dicks sporting goods. Mag Blends on the shelf for $27.99 I feel robbed by Gander Mtn...

PostPosted: February 26th, 2014, 12:50 am 
Redhead

stevena198301 wrote:
Don't know about the Nitro blends. Are they stacked sizes or mixed? MagBlends stack it 5, then 6, then 7, not mix it all together. That is their claim anyways. I haven't had the heart to chop open a $6-7 shell. One word of warning... Out of two boxes of Mag Blends, I had 3 shells that started un-crimping at the end. I put some hot wax in the end to keep water out and ended up using all three. Two on turkey, and one on a target shot. Them suckers HURT when you aren't shooting at a bird!

Glad you found your problem!

Yeah I'm glad I did too. As for them being stacked or mixed I'm not sure, they are $9 a shot so I won't be dissecting one to find out.

PostPosted: February 28th, 2014, 8:58 pm 
Redhead

Dshirley wrote:
Im gonna save you all some time and money. You will thank me later. Winchester longbeard xr 3 1/2 inch number 6 with a comp n choke. 22 pellets at 60 yds and with an indian creek choke 28 pellets at 60. only 25 dollars for 10. unbeleivable shells. they will put magnum blend out of business. the shells are devastating and cheap. I have shot magnum blends the last two seasons and was happy with them except for the price. Seriously i would feel comfortable out to 70 yds. and i know you are laughing about the distances. but seriously you owe it to yourself to try it.

When you say 28 pellets at 60, what size area are you talking about? As far as lead 6s at 60 or 70, that's a stretch. There's almost no way to consistently kill with lead at 70, just doesn't retain the energy needed. As far as lead goes, I kill a bird or two a year with it. Nothing wrong with it, but its impossible for lead to imitate heavy. That comparison is about like steel and lead.

PostPosted: March 12th, 2014, 11:40 am 
Wood Duck

out of an indian creek....try the winchester longbeard 5s or 6s. they are amazing. ask deeksdown if you don't believe me. i shoot an indian creek haymaker and they put a ton of pellets in a 10" circle at 40.

PostPosted: March 12th, 2014, 12:56 pm 
Wood Duck

Not sure what kinda bead you have on the gun? I put a hi-viz magnetic on the rib of my benelli and would get poa/poi shots slightly low. Took off since I didnt want to add a shim and used the benelli stock bead and brought the poi dead center at 20yds. Right nows setup at 60yds benelli M1/Indian Creek choke and winchester double xx 3in 5s in a 10in circle gave me 18pellets. In a 14in circle 27. I bought a box of the magblends, and have read nothing but great reviews. I wont pattern them at 6 bucks a shell! Just gonna let em roll. If I kill 5 birds this year, Ill be going to the longbeards xr for next season.