It is currently October 21st, 2017, 5:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rate your season
PostPosted: May 1st, 2015, 12:01 am 
Mallard

I had a pretty good year. I was blessed with 3 this season and many more beautiful mornings. I called in two birds for other hunters, so in a way I got my "limit".

I did not get to hunt this morning and it ate at me all day. I just had to get out there today, so I got out to our property at 6pm and much to my surprise had one gobbling at 6:15. :shock: He strutted around in the pasture and I got in a calling match with his hen. He would not come off that hit top, finally shut up and this season was put in the books. It was a fun hunt to end it on and I was happy I took the opportunity to hear a few more gobbles before hanging up the vest.

Overall I rate this one a 8. One of the three I killed was probably my 2nd largest bird and I killed my first double bearded bird.

Post subject: Re: Rate your season
PostPosted: May 1st, 2015, 9:17 am 
Redhead

Good on ya Cypress! I hunted 4 times in Al this year. Took my 9 year old and she got to hear her first gobble, but he wouldn't come in. It was a great morning regardless. She was happy, and wants to go back. The other three times were a bust, but I was going in blind on public land, so I'm not complaining.

I had an excellent experience in east Kansas, on the trip I won. Tagged out with two birds. Killed one after I had been at the property for 35 minutes. I had been at the tree for less than 15. Rolled a bird the second day (first morning), and he flew off as I got up and slung my gun over my shoulder. Killed number 2 on my second morning, calling in two longbeards from about 400 yards out. They came in at a dead sprint. That was a first experience for me. I'm in the middle. My father-in-law is on the left. He also go this two birds. One right before I got my first (by about 5 minutes), and one on the last afternoon. My second bird had a lot of white in the tail, and I think he was a hybrid Eastern/Rio.

Attachments:
Kansas 2015 turkey.jpg
Kansas 2015 turkey.jpg [ 209.9 KiB | Viewed 1189 times ]

PostPosted: May 1st, 2015, 9:49 am 
Mallard

I had a really successful season overall, mainly thanks to friends that let me tag along with them. I was in the woods 12 mornings total (2 in FL). Killed 4, missed one (didn't tell that story on here, more painful than the missed opportunity I posted about), had a bird at 8 yds that didn't fire a shot at, and called at some birds that went the other direction but friend's dad ended up shooting on. Got my first FL bird (jake) but it was in N FL so not an Osceola but still fun... shot my biggest weight/biggest spurred bird ever... I'd give this season a "8".

Change that miss to a hit and I'd be at a 9... then let me squeeze off that trigger at the 8yd bird and this season is an easy "10" :)

PostPosted: May 1st, 2015, 10:12 am 
Mallard

stevena198301 - great pic! yall use an outfitter? I got to get out west one day...

PostPosted: May 1st, 2015, 11:45 am 
Redhead

bamahunter wrote:
stevena198301 - great pic! yall use an outfitter? I got to get out west one day...

We did. I won a hunt at an expo two years ago, and just had a chance to take it. My father-in-law paid for his, but it was worth every penny to him! He had a blast. Some of y'all may know him as RRDUCKHNT on here. The guide service is Horseshoe Hills, out of PA (Robert McConnell), but the guy who was at the KS property will assume command of all their Mound City, KS properties in 2016 (Nate Kingsley). I have nothing but great things to say about both men, and we will be going back. We had a blast, and memories like those don't come every day. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: May 4th, 2015, 8:42 am 
Tundra Swan

Gotta say this was the "worst" season I've experienced.
Actually hunted only once - but did a lot of scouting.
Places that once had gobblers didn't this year.
Oh well - it's fishing time now.
Congrats to those with birds :mrgreen: