It is currently October 18th, 2017, 10:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Got a Double
PostPosted: April 17th, 2015, 11:50 am 
Mallard

I took a first timer on Saturday, actually we hunted together once last season. We got on a bird early, but had a creek between us and he never really gave us the time of day. We then looped around him and got them to gobble again about 30 mins later. Within minutes of setting up after the intial gobble they were out to our right at 20yards.

I wasn't even going to shoot either of the two that came in, but much to our surprise there was a third gobbler that slipped in silently to our left. He spooked after the shot and went airborne. The 3rd bird landed in the kill zone to pounce on his buddy and I could not resist.

Murder was the Case at 7:00am.

Mine - 11" beard 8" 2nd beard, 1" spurs

His - 11" beard 1" spurs

Post subject: Re: Got a Double
PostPosted: April 17th, 2015, 2:40 pm 
Redhead

Nice work Cypress! You's a turkey killin' fool! :mrgreen:

I haven't been much this year. Too many other things going on.

PostPosted: April 18th, 2015, 9:23 am 
Tundra Swan

Congrats to both of you. I haven't seen or heard a turkey this spring. Places that had them last year seem not to. Talked to one of the farmers and he hadn't seen them either. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: April 20th, 2015, 4:56 pm 
Mallard

I have been hearing the same thing from other hunters in our area. I even have a piece of property that is not producing like it typically does. Some folks say it is the coyotes, others say it is the popularity of farmers using chicken litter in the fields for fertilizer. It is obvious that something if not several factors are negatively affecting the turkeys.

I know that the state is doing a study that I am currently taking part in. You basically report the details of your hunts through a list of questions such as the area of the state, day and time of your hunt, gobbles heard, gobbling turkeys, hens seen, jakes, etc.

Who knows... I personally would like to see a bounty put on coyotes to spur some consistant killing practices.

PostPosted: April 27th, 2015, 12:56 pm 
Redhead

I haven't heard/seen the amount I did last year, but I haven't been but a few times.

PostPosted: April 30th, 2015, 11:07 pm 
Mallard

Cypress Sniper wrote:
I know that the state is doing a study that I am currently taking part in. You basically report the details of your hunts through a list of questions such as the area of the state, day and time of your hunt, gobbles heard, gobbling turkeys, hens seen, jakes, etc.

I participated in that study this year also, is this the first year they've done it? It's a great idea if it ends up providing useful data but I wonder if some folks will have a hard time telling the truth if they are successful WMA hunters... I know I'm not a big fan of telling folks how I did on ducks at public boat ramps on the good days, ha.

I managed to get 3 in AL and finished with a record bird for me that I've had scored and plan to submit to NWTF... heard of some fat toms gettin killed this year as combination of the big mast fall and if the birds have access to corn/bean fields.