It is currently October 18th, 2017, 10:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New to turkey hunting
PostPosted: February 14th, 2015, 12:00 am 
Ruddy Duck

Well with duck season over I thought I would try turkey hunting. I have never been but have always want to. I was asking for some tips to get started. what equipment is usual for this sport, what kind of shells and greenfield or hardwoods. I will be hunting WMA so is there areas better than others on public lands. I'm not asking for the honey holes just what WMA are good for turkey and if the fields are better or hardwood bottoms.

PostPosted: February 16th, 2015, 12:20 pm 
Redhead

Turkey hunters are 100 times more close-lipped than duck hunters. Don't expect much...

Hunting WMAs can be tough here. Birds are smart and they spook easily. I think they can hear your thoughts sometimes. :shock:

Get you a tight choke for your gun, and some turkey loads. I like Hevi-Shot Magnum Blends, but there are cheaper ones out there that kill turkey fine. I would not suggest using a decoy on WMAs. That's a good way to get shot.

Keep your calling to a minimum, especially if the bird is being vocal and seems to be coming toward you. In nature, he gobbles (or drums) and the ladies come to him. When hunting, you are at a disadvantage. You are trying to make him come to YOU. A lot of times, if he is coming to you, and you over-call, you will get busted, or he will spook.

Scout, scout, scout. But remember that some WMAs are closed to hunting at mid-day.

PostPosted: February 16th, 2015, 8:51 pm 
Ruddy Duck

Thanks for the help. Yeah I know about the closed lips. I just need help to get started. I think that scouting is the most important and sometimes fun part of hunting. I know some people want you to tell them where to go down to what tree to set beside. Im not wanting that, I just need to know what areas to scout (like if I need to be scouting green fields or hardwood bottoms) It seems like the best area is thick pine that opens to hardwood and leads to a greenfield. is this right? I will scout just need to know timber types to do it in.

PostPosted: February 17th, 2015, 12:18 am 
Hooded Merganser

In my years of turkey hunting, there are many different scenarios where you'll catch turkeys hanging out. Depending on many different factors (food availability, rain, wind, temperature, etc) birds change their routines. Some birds are labeled "field birds" and tend to feed in fields most of the time while I have hunted birds that never seem to leave the same neck of hardwoods or pines and never step foot in a field. As stated previously, go scout. If you find field birds, get a pair of binocs and sit afar and try to get their pattern. When time gets just a little closer and weather cooperates, get out at day break and listen for gobbles. Find a good owl hoot tube and learn to use it. Birds will gobble their head off to an owl hoot while they're still on roost typically. Like ducks most of the time, less calling is more. I like to let him know where I am and then shut up and wait. Sometimes it works, sometimes he has other things on his mind. Then again, sometimes you have to be aggressive. When you know a gobbler has hens with him, the best thing to do is to shut up and wait until later in the morning when chances are better of him leaving them and trying to find new hens. Get a good choke and a good padded cushion to sit on and go hunt! I know this is a bunch of rambling but I hope it helps! Im ready for season to roll around. Good luck!

Matthew 6:26
War Eagle's AJ Abigail "Abbie"

PostPosted: April 5th, 2015, 11:00 am 
Harlequin Duck

Here is my advice to you, quit while your ahead. Turkeys have ruined a many good hard working man, ran off a few good women, and made hair turn loose. Its not an addiction to be taken lightly.

HRCH 3s's Well Dressed Man "Spats"

Knee Boot Mafia

PostPosted: October 8th, 2015, 11:36 pm 
Hooded Merganser

Scout ahead of season and study turkey's movement.

PostPosted: February 16th, 2016, 8:25 pm 
Mallard

wildfire1511 wrote:
Well with duck season over I thought I would try turkey hunting. I have never been but have always want to. I was asking for some tips to get started. what equipment is usual for this sport, what kind of shells and greenfield or hardwoods. I will be hunting WMA so is there areas better than others on public lands. I'm not asking for the honey holes just what WMA are good for turkey and if the fields are better or hardwood bottoms.

Where are you planning to hunt North, Middle or South part of the state?? You don't have your location in your profile... There's several WMA's out there that hold a lot of turkey's but there's people I bet right now riding thru them blowing owl hooters to see if they can get one to answer so they get very tight lipped on WMA's a lot of the time, I've used coyote howlers and goose calls with success (Now those will be used to death now).. Headed back to Kansas again this year to turkey hunt had a blast last year hunted 3 days killed 2 turkeys and my son-in-law (stevena198301) killed 2 also.. Got checked coming thru Missouri at a wildlife check point had everything right and the officers were all nice but one who thought we had 2 turkeys in one bag which was wrong, found my Byetta Pin (Used for my diabetes) rolled up in a zip-lock bag in the cooler and went to screaming "GOT DOPE !! GOT DOPE!!! GOT DOPE!! he was a real butt! another officer watched as he unrolled it and said that's just like the one I use....... Hope you have fun and stay safe and get ya one....

PostPosted: February 17th, 2016, 2:58 pm 
Redhead

Here is the hunt RRDUCKHNT speaks of. That was a good trip... Never saw so many responsive (think stupid) birds. He's the old codger on the left. Guy on the right is from MS.

Attachments:
Kansas 2015 turkey.jpg
Kansas 2015 turkey.jpg [ 209.9 KiB | Viewed 3973 times ]