It is currently December 12th, 2017, 1:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Finally got one
PostPosted: October 21st, 2014, 10:40 am 
Wood Duck

Really wasn't planning on killing this small of a buck but I needed the meat, plus its my FIRST ever bowkill. :P Killing them with a gun is fun but there's just something about that *THWACK* when the arrow hits that gets the knees shaking. Hopefully I'll get on a bigger one this year before season's over. Anymore of y'all had any luck yet?

Auburn University
Wildlife Management

Post subject: Re: Finally got one
PostPosted: October 22nd, 2014, 8:52 am 
Quackmaster

Not a thing wrong with that one. I hunt to enjoy the opportunities. You have three buck tags, so now you can be selective.
I haven't been in the woods yet, too busy with kids football and work. Plan on going on Saturday afternoon. Got a couple really good ones on camera I probably will leave alone until after Christmas when it gets right. Keep up the work, and eventually a good'un will give you an opportunity. But, like I said, the one you shot was a good one also. It's all in the mind and preparation leading up to the arrow release.

PostPosted: October 22nd, 2014, 2:05 pm 
Coot

He could have grown up to be a good one. This day and age, you don't "need" the meat...it was a "I have to get my first buck bow kill or else I'll never get the chance again" kind of feeling.

PostPosted: October 22nd, 2014, 8:58 pm 
Gadwall

achill3z wrote:
He could have grown up to be a good one. This day and age, you don't "need" the meat...it was a "I have to get my first buck bow kill or else I'll never get the chance again" kind of feeling.

Hater's gon hate!!!! However, I usually pass on small bucks but I have certainly taken several on occasion, especially early in the season when I am itching to get a shot off.

I don't rifle hunt anymore. Once you start going after them with a bow it is a new ball game. It is more challenging but the pay off is much more rewarding (at least in my opinion).

You don't hunt to please other people. You hunt because you enjoy it and hopefully you can appreciate the importance of conservation along the way. A lot of people have not experienced the thrill of shooting one with the bow. Congrats on the first!

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2014, 10:28 am 
Canvasback

ozarktroutbum wrote:
achill3z wrote:

Hater's gon hate!!!! However, I usually pass on small bucks but I have certainly taken several on occasion, especially early in the season when I am itching to get a shot off.

I don't rifle hunt anymore. Once you start going after them with a bow it is a new ball game. It is more challenging but the pay off is much more rewarding (at least in my opinion).

You don't hunt to please other people. You hunt because you enjoy it and hopefully you can appreciate the importance of conservation along the way. A lot of people have not experienced the thrill of shooting one with the bow. Congrats on the first!

I've been rifle hunting since I was 12, but finally started Bow hunting this year and I agree, I shot a Doe this weekend the first time i've ever sat in the woods with a bow and it was so much more exciting and challenging than shooting them at 100 yds with a rifle! It's kinda nice having some deer meat a month earlier than normal 8)

PostPosted: October 26th, 2014, 10:46 pm 
Canvasback

Very nice, I've killed quite a few deer with a bow. The second deer I ever killed was with a bow. It was with an aluminum arrow about 12 years ago, I think I was 14-15. Bow hunting is something else. I've put down some decent bucks but my proudest bow kill was on a 70lb doe. I was scouting a new spot and jumped 3 deer. Saw the direction they were headed and guessed they may travel a fence line. I took off in the direction and guessed right. I arrowed her at 17 yards on the ground. My heart almost jumped out of my chest. Congradulations, you'll remember that scraggly buck forever!

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2014, 1:42 pm 
Ruddy Duck

the first one is always a good one no matter if it is a doe or buck

PostPosted: November 26th, 2015, 3:11 pm 
Hooded Merganser

The first hunt well always be the best experienced.