It is currently December 11th, 2017, 12:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Yazoo MS Hunting?
PostPosted: January 2nd, 2014, 3:18 pm 
Gadwall

Has anyone ever hunted any of these WMA's around Yazoo City. I have a friend that lives there. Thinking about taking a cheap road trip and staying there and hunting some of these. Just wanting to know if it would be worth the drive. Thanks Fellas

Post subject: Re: Yazoo MS Hunting?
PostPosted: January 2nd, 2014, 3:55 pm 
Canvasback

I've hunted Howard Miller and Mahannah to the west. Both are really good wmas but they have a daily draw to be able to hunt. You have two options you can put in for a draw online if you get drawn you're guaranteed a spot for that day, or you can go as a standby and hope that people who got drawn don't show up. We drew a spot as standby everytime but at that point they had about 50/50 reserved for the standby hunters, I've heard its way way less now for standby.

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2014, 5:28 pm 
Banded Black Duck

I used to hunt over there years ago with much success. As has been stated though.....now the draw system is in force and you arent guaranteed anything.

'Cupped

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2014, 12:47 am 
Redhead

The water fall in the area has a big effect on the hunting around there. I have a camp close to Mahanna and when the water is right the hunting is good, but when we get to much water over there the fields to the north all flood and that pulls the birds like you've never seen.

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2014, 1:07 am 
Pintail

Stay home

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2014, 1:41 pm 
Mallard

Panther Swamp and Muscadine Farms WMA are great places at times but you need to know how to get around in Pather Swamp so so take a GPS if you have one. Muscadine is a draw area and can't remember if they do standbys or now. Good luck.

PostPosted: January 6th, 2014, 8:58 am 
Tundra Swan

Muscadine has standby and if you show up at 5:00, you will probably get a spot. Both it and Mahanna are very slow right now.

PostPosted: January 7th, 2014, 4:06 pm 
Ruddy Duck

We hunted public land in NE Mississippi their opener (the week before ours) and shot 42 in two days. All 4 of us limited the first day then we left a box of shells in the truck the second day so we ran out and only managed a 3 man limit. Gaddies, mallards, GWT, woodies, and wigeons.

PostPosted: November 15th, 2017, 4:24 pm 
Gadwall

I figured I would put an update on this.
I went to Panther the last weekend of season. Scouted the first day I was there, and had a few spots planned. Spoke with a 60 or so old man that gave me the lay of the land which was super cool of him. We got to the refuge 1 hr before they let you drive into the refuge. We were 10th or so in line at 0330! There was plenty of room in the swamp and got our 1st spot we wanted, but at shooting time it sounded like a war was going. We had a few birds work and shot a few. My plan is to go earlier this season and try it again, maybe during the week to beat some of the crowd.
They also segregate weekend spots from weekday spots. I only hunted the weekend side. So, I'll be starting over again if I do that.

I was also thinking about trying Delta National Forest. Does anyone have any experience with it?