It is currently December 13th, 2017, 2:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 15th, 2013, 1:58 pm 
Ruddy Duck

So do most people just stay away from blinds this late in the season? I've definitely noticed the birds flaring off the blinds more and more....but wondering if it is b/c of the location, the blind look, or both.

I have been working on a pop up blind and am trying to figure out if it is worth finishing up or if I should just put it aside and bank hunt. Do late season birds tend to flare off pop up blinds as much as a permanent blind?

PostPosted: January 15th, 2013, 2:13 pm 
Pintail

I’ve been talking with a friend about this very thing. We both are of the opinion that we are just hunting some locally educated birds. I do not believe we have had any weather to push us some “fresh and new” birds, so the birds that we are left with have been shot at & are well educated.

I’ve tried established blinds, open water, & everything in between these last 2 weeks with next to zero success.
:noducks :noducks :noducks

PostPosted: January 15th, 2013, 2:44 pm 
Ruddy Duck

we have seen the birds. Hunting in permanent blinds it seems like they are flying by....see the decoys and start coming in....and then get smart and flare off just out of range. I just wonder if they just know that particular spot....or actually put it together that blind equals getting shot at. I have seen people with pop up blinds bringing in some birds....so my theory is it is more of a "overhunted spot" thing than a flare all blinds type thing

PostPosted: January 18th, 2013, 1:58 pm 
Hooded Merganser

There is nothing natural looking about a small wad of cane stuck up in the middle of the bay. Two months of sky busting will educate these ducks quickly. Pop up blinds are real effective from the banks if they blend well. The problem is getting to a bank on the causeway this time of year may be tricky. The thing I love about my boat blind is that I'm not restricted to one spot.