It is currently October 22nd, 2017, 3:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MAster Hunter Excellent?
PostPosted: September 14th, 2016, 1:24 pm 
Harlequin Duck

some of you higher up guys fill us in on what all this is about. different rules or just higher standards?
will it count as a regular MH pass towards the Master National quals?

PostPosted: September 16th, 2016, 9:50 am 
Harlequin Duck

Marty, I don't know squat about the new division. Dillard is judging so maybe he has some insight.

May be a nice for those with no interest in the Master National and Grand.

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2016, 9:49 pm 
Harlequin Duck

I believe it was cancelled due to lack of entries and interest.
IMO there are FT's for those that want to play the dog vs. dog games.
MP

PostPosted: December 5th, 2016, 10:57 am 
Tundra Swan

I don't know (don't think so) if the MHX came to fruition or not. With other AKC titles, adding the X to the end is just a way to designate that a dog has completed some additional criteria beyond the basic title. It exist for many of the other AKC titles. For instance...the MX is the suffix designation for a dog that has completed the requirement for "Agility Excellent" status.
As far as the MH (Master Hunter qualification in retriever hunt tests).......
The following IS an excerpt from the AKC website.

Master Hunter Advanced MHA
An advanced title is earned when a dog passes an additional 5 times with an average qualifying score of 8.0 or higher after earning its MH.
[ Hunting Test ] It's not a special event. Same weekend test. Qual. score of 8 or better

In any case, anything that causes more people to sign up for AKC Master hunt test right now, is not a good thing for the current situation.

PostPosted: December 5th, 2016, 1:43 pm 
Harlequin Duck

Has anyone here gotten the MHA? How do you know what your scores are? is the title automatically sent to you if you have these scores? AND as Hillarry says "at this point what difference does it make"? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: December 5th, 2016, 2:01 pm 
Tundra Swan

Yur Right Marty. Although I did go back and chase 500 with Brody after the MH. Not sure there's much difference. I still promote the doggie games whenever possible and applaud accomplishments in those venues. Much better than havin 'ol Boomer excel in "couch sittin".

PostPosted: December 5th, 2016, 9:36 pm 
Harlequin Duck

I plan to chase the free 500 point jacket with Gussie as well.
We also going to attempt the new AM National in the spring.
And going to ship her off with Noah this summer to train and run the MN.might as well do it all while we healthy enough.
OLD AGE comes much TOO SOON!!!!! HOPE to see ya soon at the line again KEN

PostPosted: December 6th, 2016, 7:41 am 
Tundra Swan

marty32565 wrote:
might as well do it all while we healthy enough.
OLD AGE comes much TOO SOON!!!!! HOPE to see ya soon at the line again KEN

I'm feelin it brother. I'm sure I'll make it back to the big leagues some day. Been stuck in "started dog" hell for a while. :lol:

PostPosted: December 7th, 2016, 9:08 pm 
Harlequin Duck

Ken, I believe on EE the MHX was a separate stake with separate judges and series. I did not go back and look it up but when I looked at the premium, Allen Dillard was I think one of the judges. Tammy Bell posted on RTF several times soliciting entries. I think only 5 signed up, hence the cancellation of that stake. The way I read it, the dogs running that stake were in essence competing against each other with higher scores to be given to dogs that did better work than others. Even though running to a standard, it would be difficult for me to believe that judging would not end up dog vs. dog with a certain (who knows how determined) pass % in mind.
It is no secret that Jerry Mann has had an agenda for quite some time to raise the standard for the weekend MH tests. I think this is how it will or could be done.

duckdawg wrote:
I don't know (don't think so) if the MHX came to fruition or not. With other AKC titles, adding the X to the end is just a way to designate that a dog has completed some additional criteria beyond the basic title. It exist for many of the other AKC titles. For instance...the MX is the suffix designation for a dog that has completed the requirement for "Agility Excellent" status.
As far as the MH (Master Hunter qualification in retriever hunt tests).......
The following IS an excerpt from the AKC website.

Master Hunter Advanced MHA
An advanced title is earned when a dog passes an additional 5 times with an average qualifying score of 8.0 or higher after earning its MH.
[ Hunting Test ] It's not a special event. Same weekend test. Qual. score of 8 or better

In any case, anything that causes more people to sign up for AKC Master hunt test right now, is not a good thing for the current situation.

PostPosted: December 8th, 2016, 10:31 am 
Tundra Swan

Got Ya.
I heard about it but, then it went away. It makes sense that they would apply the same tactics to HT that they use on other performance events....Agility, Obedience, Tracking, etc

Also, the WC (working certificate) and WCX (Working Certificate Excellent) program is built that way. That is also a "Retriever" event using much of the same stuff a HT uses. Marks, Blinds etc
The WC events are listed separately on EE also and have been around for years. In general I think is it mostly attended by that "other" group of AKC dog handlers. You know who I'm talking about.

We "Hunt Testers" are the outsiders in AKC. A program that was founded by someone other than AKC then copied cause they didn't want to miss out. The "Pure" FT folks still poo poo on HT and the OB/AGIL/WCX folks won't hang with us cause they'd get mud on the mini van.

Then the MHA popped up instead. This, if it become popular, will only increase the demand for entries. I.E. make a bad situation worse.

I know AKC is constantly looking for ways to increase revenue. Looks to me, the way the entry numbers are, it would be a perfect time for them to increase their fees. As is, even if a club raises the entry to $100, AKC does not get any more from it than a club that charges $50 (Haven't seen a $50 entry in a while)

I would expect to see some $100 entry fees soon if not already.

PostPosted: December 8th, 2016, 2:58 pm 
Harlequin Duck

I am surprised that HT entries are not higher also.
As a long time entrepreneur, I have always believed in the laws of supply and demand. I have advocated raising the price of entries to limit the entries but have met resistance at every mention. I know that some am's and owner handlers may be hampered by higher fees but the demands on workers and grounds are sometimes ridiculous caused by the number of entries. AKC has allowed the limit of entries and hard closing dates recently but that has caused another set of issues, mainly pros being accused of getting favoritism from EE because they get a lot of the entries. I know this is not the case.
IMO, MHX just puts more demands on an already strained system.
As far as revenue generated for AKC by retriever HT's, I would bet that if it went away, AKC would not even notice. there are all kinds of dog events that generate more revenue than retriever tests, some hound events have hundreds of entries. Combine all of the shows, agilities and what we cakk the minor games (WC, WCX etc.) and you will see we are a fly speck in the pepper pot for AKC. That is why there was not and won't be any more assistance or guidance from AKC re: the issues relevant to retriever games unless something comes up to jeopardize registrations or the real revenue generators.