It is currently October 20th, 2018, 7:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: British Field trials
PostPosted: October 20th, 2014, 7:48 pm 
Hooded Merganser

Anyone ever been to a British field trial? The ones I've been to have been pretty cool.

Post subject: Re: British Field trials
PostPosted: October 20th, 2014, 10:48 pm 
Mallard

Nah, I'm to Redneck... They'd kick me out. Plus I don't own any knickers a satchel or a pipe! :shock:

PostPosted: October 21st, 2014, 7:35 am 
Ruddy Duck

Never been, but would like to. If you hear of one close, post it up.

PostPosted: October 21st, 2014, 8:48 am 
Hooded Merganser

Haha! No pipes needed! Just a steady dog. I will post one up, there should be one in another month. We host training days around once a month as well, and it gives you a good picture of what a British Field trail look like! I will post when we host another training day or when the next field trail is! I would like to see more people get involved with it. It would be cool to see a mixture of British and American dogs running in the trial.

PostPosted: October 21st, 2014, 9:29 am 
Harlequin Duck

Totally off the wall questions. I have a field bred "American" lab. Steady as a rock on the line, honors well & is very quiet. She does have a bad habit of barking in the box. Would that be judged? Who typically judges the trials?

My plate is pretty full but I am always willing to try something different.

PostPosted: October 21st, 2014, 10:14 am 
Tundra Swan

I have been to more than a couple (Tom Hamilton and Todd Kruebbe are great friends of mine), have placements w/HT trained "british dog." There will be 3 judges, with one having to be an "A" panel judge. You will sometimes get Sue Hutton or other (friendly and knowledgeable) judges flown in from the U.K. I have been asked to apprentice, but it always falls when I am judging something else. I will get around to it eventually.

A steady, quiet MH will pretty much mop up that venue once the handler learns the game. The hardest part for a new "HT/FT" handler will be keeping up with all the birds that are down and have been picked up or not(there may be 8 or 12 shot flyers down at once in the UK trials I have attended/run). And there are NO "no birds," a fly off is expected to be picked up, even if you can order pizza and have it delivered in the interim. If you have been to the Grand or MN, you won't be all that impressed with the work in the field, but you probably WILL be impressed with the line manners.

If your dog is vocal on the line, it will be penalized very harshly (ask Alan Sandifer/Ellie Mae about whining on the 13th missed flyer in a row). Cast refusals, handling to birds, not so penalized. If a dog picks up a bird yours did not: bye-bye. They are very fun, totally different with all the movement with 6 dogs working at once. Tip: Wear something other than green waxed cotton and wellies so your dog can differentiate you from everyone else in the handling line. Mark Land: Let me know when you are running one, do lots of walk ups/walking honors to shot flyers in the field, and I will bet HEAVILY on your dogs to place. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: October 21st, 2014, 10:24 am 
Hooded Merganser

He or she answered your question very well. To solve your problem of your dog winning in the cage just keep it on the lead with you. They can't penalize you if your dog is in the cage and whining, but whinning dogs are bothersome. So you can just keep it beside you the whole time. Now if your dog whines on the line, then that dog will be picked up. If you are some what interested come check out our training days and we will show you what it's like. The training days are pretty relaxed. I would love to see yall there!

PostPosted: October 21st, 2014, 1:12 pm 
Ruddy Duck

Joshua,

I sent you an email. I've got a 9mo BLM out of Bracken Fen. I'd be glad to get together with you guys at your next training day or field trial.

PostPosted: October 21st, 2014, 1:39 pm 
Banded Black Duck

Something tells me my dogs would be considered washouts in this venue, lol. Do y'all have local trials?

PostPosted: October 21st, 2014, 2:03 pm 
Hooded Merganser

Yes we do have local trials here in Alabama. The reason we have training days is so you are more prepared and have a better chance at not washing out. I will post when we having our next one. Your welcome to come even if you don't have a dog.

PostPosted: October 21st, 2014, 2:41 pm 
Pintail

Where in Alabama do you train and have trials?

HRCH Dixie's Southern Comfort IV, MH

PostPosted: October 21st, 2014, 3:15 pm 
Hooded Merganser

The trials are in Alabama are pretty much all over, but central and north are where they happen a lot. Training days that we host are around Warrior, AL.