It is currently December 13th, 2017, 12:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 27th, 2015, 9:28 am 
Gadwall

Who remembers hunting at Wanville and meeting Herman the German and his spread of pintails ?

PostPosted: January 27th, 2015, 10:59 am 
Quackmaster

Yep, that was many a moon ago.
Actually, we used to put a smacking on the Mallards in there in the 80's and early 90's.

PostPosted: January 27th, 2015, 11:38 am 
Gadwall

I often wonder what changed. why did mallards stop coming there and Guntersville in numbers? And ringers and Gadwalls took their place. You hear DU feeds to much on the refuges north of us, then I read an article recently about hug numbers of ducks dying up north because of extremely cold weather. Guess they would not leave a food source.

But getting back to Herman, he was a cool guy with some stories to tell

PostPosted: January 27th, 2015, 11:44 am 
Redhead

Someone told me that farming practice changes account for some of it. Lots of farms went to sod farms. I'm unsure. Never hunted in the 80s and 90s.

PostPosted: January 27th, 2015, 1:03 pm 
Mallard

Fields not bein planted on wma's plays a role in no birds.117 stays flooded year round about it . Not sure exactly what they are managing on wma's

PostPosted: January 27th, 2015, 9:21 pm 
Wood Duck

Herman was great, some guys that got me started hunting there used to carry him some. He had some interesting stories

PostPosted: January 27th, 2015, 10:47 pm 
Wood Duck

For those of us who never met him, how about some stories? Who is he? Let's get something going on this board!

PostPosted: January 27th, 2015, 11:22 pm 
Mallard

BamaK-9, I thought for a second he was talking about you!! Bwahahaha!!!

PostPosted: January 28th, 2015, 10:36 am 
Gadwall

He was in his 80s when I met him. He came to the US from Germany, he was a Rocket Scientist with NASA. I believe he was recruited along with Wernher Von Braun into the space program and National defense. Years later he started getting feeble but would still haul his rig to the launch. Different guys hunting would just put him in their boat and let him hunt with them. Some of those guys are still on here, they just lay low .

PostPosted: January 28th, 2015, 10:48 am 
Redhead

Herman Weidner, maybe? Here's a pic. He has no Wikipedia page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ge ... am1959.gif

PostPosted: January 28th, 2015, 4:17 pm 
Coot

He had great little blind on his boat that looked like a beaver hut. He hunted the same place every day. I hunted with him a couple of times and he had some great stories about his days in Germany and working at NASA. Those were some great times at Wanville. Killed lots of ducks at that place.

PostPosted: January 28th, 2015, 6:51 pm 
Mallard

Hermann Wagner. He hunted Wannville the very first year it opened, 1952. Large fresh brush piles made for good cover and as Hermann told me the mallards, pintails, and widgeon were bountiful. In the late 90s, health deteriorating, he'd drive from Huntsville to stand at the launch and chat with hunters. The man had a passion for Jackson County duck hunting and I expect his name will be forever tied to Wannville.

PostPosted: January 28th, 2015, 10:07 pm 
Gadwall

I started duck hunting in 1991. I was 6, everyone knew everyone at the ramp. It was actually a gentlemans sport then. I do remember Herman, had a couple hunts with him. Thy was when gadwall were few and far between. Mallards, woodys, and a sprig was main ducks in there. The good ole day's.

PostPosted: January 29th, 2015, 6:30 pm 
Tundra Swan

Location: Parks City, TN just over the Bama line North of Huntsville
Yes, I meet Herman a couple of times on Dove Hunts in the MudCreek management area corn fields in the mid 70s,
He shot a very cool looking Over and under Shotgun for Doves.
He knew some of the Fathers of some of kids that I went to High school with.
Remember, I went to school with the kids of the Von Braun era Rocket scientists
I never knew that he hunted Ducks at Wanville.

2 Reasons that I know of for the Lack of Mallards at Wanville and other Parts of Jackson county.

1. Poor planting of Corn on the Management areas and on Private fields.
2. Change in Migration patterns of the Mallards because of the "Better" food management on the BIG Refuges and the dramatic increase in Rice Farming along both sides of the Mississippi River.

IF they would do a better job of planting at Wanville (CORN) the Local Mallards would still provide some good shooting there.

GOD Bless you

http://www.sportsmensdevotional.com/prayer.htm

PostPosted: January 29th, 2015, 7:06 pm 
Banded Black Duck

There you go again acting like you know averything thing. :lol:

PostPosted: February 5th, 2015, 3:23 am 
Banded Black Duck

too many people hunting is why we don't see many mallards. They are here but they stay on the refuge during season. I'd say it has almost zero to do with what gets planted in wanville and raccoon. Plenty of private land places plant more than enough corn to make up for what raccoon and wanville don't plant anymore. Come look after season at what all is on huntable waters and you'll see its 99.9% hunting pressure.

folks set there expectations too high for wmas. They want it planted and maintained like its private land. If it was up to me, they'd have 4 workdays on wmas and if you wanted a permit to hunt there, you'd have to attend 2 of them. Then I'd make the fee of the permit $500 and only allow 3 days a week of hunting. It would cut the crowds way down, the people couldn't whine about the condition of everything because it would be their job to maintain it, they'd have plenty of money to fund what everyone expects them to do, and the place would get plenty of rest during the season. And the quality of hunting would be well worth $500.

"The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt." Proverbs 12:27

PostPosted: February 5th, 2015, 9:40 am 
Redhead

yellabill wrote:
too many people hunting is why we don't see many mallards. They are here but they stay on the refuge during season. I'd say it has almost zero to do with what gets planted in wanville and raccoon. Plenty of private land places plant more than enough corn to make up for what raccoon and wanville don't plant anymore. Come look after season at what all is on huntable waters and you'll see its 99.9% hunting pressure.

folks set there expectations too high for wmas. They want it planted and maintained like its private land. If it was up to me, they'd have 4 workdays on wmas and if you wanted a permit to hunt there, you'd have to attend 2 of them. Then I'd make the fee of the permit $500 and only allow 3 days a week of hunting. It would cut the crowds way down, the people couldn't whine about the condition of everything because it would be their job to maintain it, they'd have plenty of money to fund what everyone expects them to do, and the place would get plenty of rest during the season. And the quality of hunting would be well worth $500.

Good points. I don't think the "permit fee" would ever fly though, since it's public land, paid for by tax and license dollars. Too many lobbyists would be against that part. You'd need to do away with the WMA license, etc, and the $500 would be considered astronomical. Possibly more like $10/day, or some type of daily usage fee. Would still rake in more money than the WMA fee currently paid. I wish daily draws and 4-day weeks would be enacted also.

I have said for years, I would LOVE to see some sort of volunteer program put in place, but I believe the state would consider it a liability. Eventually, someone would get hurt, and their insurance company would sue the state.

I like your thought process though. :idea:

PostPosted: February 5th, 2015, 1:49 pm 
Wood Duck

stevena198301 wrote:
yellabill wrote:

Good points. I don't think the "permit fee" would ever fly though, since it's public land, paid for by tax and license dollars. Too many lobbyists would be against that part. You'd need to do away with the WMA license, etc, and the $500 would be considered astronomical. Possibly more like $10/day, or some type of daily usage fee. Would still rake in more money than the WMA fee currently paid. I wish daily draws and 4-day weeks would be enacted also.

I have said for years, I would LOVE to see some sort of volunteer program put in place, but I believe the state would consider it a liability. Eventually, someone would get hurt, and their insurance company would sue the state.

I like your thought process though. :idea:

Ditto. I like the thinking, just not sure it would be an option, regardless of how much sense it makes.

PostPosted: February 5th, 2015, 3:14 pm 
Banded Black Duck

Oh, none of that will ever happen. It's sad that people can't pitch in and help with the work that is, and needs to be done on wmas because the state has to worry about being sued. I have no doubt that some moron would get hurt and sue. Something major and drastic will have to happen though to make hunting good around NE bama again. And it will involve weeding out the folks that don't live for the sport

"The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt." Proverbs 12:27

PostPosted: February 10th, 2015, 7:31 pm 
Tundra Swan

Location: Parks City, TN just over the Bama line North of Huntsville
band_collector7184 wrote:
Fields not bein planted on wma's plays a role in no birds.117 stays flooded year round about it . Not sure exactly what they are managing on wma's

+1

http://www.sportsmensdevotional.com/prayer.htm